Removable of manual display configuration on first boot (FC6)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 14 09:03:32 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I would like to inquire as to why configuration of display settings
> was removed from first boot. As it is, xorg often ignores resolutions
> set by system-config-display, but now I'm not evening being given the
> chance to be ignored, and frankly Fedora is terrible at guessing
> display settings (from the past 4 FC6 install I've done). In the
> latest install, FC6 correctly detected the VGA and monitor, but
> botched the autoconfig enough that LCD blanked out (display out of
> range) - fixing this was troublesome enough - and I've yet to get xorg
> to accept the resolution as I set t exactly from
> system-config-display.
>
> I was thinking of filing a bug report, but I figured that I should
> better ask questions here first.

I think the answer is that Xorg is moving into the direction of getting
things working properly by default by instead of having the user fiddle
with settings. The Xorg auto configuration mechanism in FC6 works better
and usually gets things right. If there are problems file bug reports
and help fix the issue rather than workaround it with configuration
tools and files manually. For Xorg 7.3, the plan is to use HAL and DBus
to enhance this further. Also see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/XInFC7

Rahul