Updates dependency/conflict checking

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Fri Dec 15 08:23:09 UTC 2006

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 11:16:58AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>> This isn't the first time this has happened.  Shouldn't there be a
>> tool (or automatic check) with updates system that would check for
>> conflicts across all the packages in "official" Fedora repositories?
>
> I'm thinking of implementing a double-buffer system that checks for
> repo closure before pushing updates to the local repo that my clients
> point to.

Yeah, that kind of workaround could solve the problem for larger
installations.
My point with this is, that yum (and other software updating tools)
should always try to do the best they can, with what they've got. If
it's missing parts of a header, clearly that package cannot be updated.
But that's no reason to skip other updates that do not have a problem.
Same thing for deps. If a package is missing a dep, we cannot update
that package, period. But all the other updates that have no problems
should still not be ignored.

/Thomas