With GL based desktops, how relevant in screen resolution?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Dec 15 12:32:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 01:29:15PM +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> For example, rather than having to pick a new resolution to make my
> desktop (fonts, titlebars, etc.) look bigger or smaller, couldn't we now
> just have a slider that makes the desktop appear bigger or smaller?

This has *always* been the case for scalable elements.

Right now, though, I don't think displays have enough intrinsic resolution
to pull this off acceptably with jpeg/png images on web sites, or with a lot
of games. When displays get to be 300dpi or higher, then it'll be different
(although for precision bitmap graphics work, you'll still want to be able
to set scaling to 1:1).