how can i add a patch to kernel-2.6.spec

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Dec 17 09:46:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:46:31 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 12:51:04AM +0100, Jörn Rink wrote:
> >
> > When i add a new number and my patch, it is ignored by rpmbuild -bp.
>
> There are two things to do :
>
> - define a new patch (this is what you've done, apparently).
> - tell rpm to apply that patch with the line :
> %patchN -p0

This second step I found to be a common mistake (and probably not only of
myself?).  I wrote a small script I am using automatically for this check:
	http://cvs.jankratochvil.net/viewcvs/nethome/bin/checkspecpatch?rev=HEAD

Would be a similiar C patch accepted for rpmbuild(8)?  OK, it shoule be BZ RFEd.
It would be still backward compatible and for unapplied patches one would have
to at least write an explicit comment line like:
	#%patch42 -p1

Regards,
Jan