with python-2.5, where to put site-packages on x86-64.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 02:28:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 18:55 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > On 12/16/06, sean <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> No i386 python:
> >>
> >> python-2.5-6.fc7.x86_64
> >> python-devel-2.5-6.fc7.x86_64
> >> python-docs-2.5-1.fc7.noarch
> >> python-libs-2.5-6.fc7.x86_64
> >> python-tools-2.5-6.fc7.x86_64
> >>
> >> But all the related packages are populating
> >> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages.
> >>
> >> And:
> >>
> >> python
> >> Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Dec 15 2006, 11:08:48)
> >> [GCC 4.1.1 20061213 (Red Hat 4.1.1-47)] on linux2
> >> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
> >> information.
> >>  >>> from distutils import sysconfig
> >>  >>> print  sysconfig.get_python_lib()
> >> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >>
> > What does sysconfig.get_python_lib(1) return?  It should be:
> > /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages
> >
> >> Is this the desired packaging? For my own stuff does it even
> >> matter?
> >>
> > arch specific python packages should go to
> > /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages and arch independent python
> > packages should go to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >
> > Is this not what's happening for you?  Are there .so files being saved
> > into /usr/lib/python2.5?
> >
> > -Toshio
> >

> IIUC this setup is actually broken.  Packages that have both arch-indep and
> arch-dep will not be found correctly with this scheme.  AFAIK this has not
> been fixed in python, and python authors said that this scheme is wrong.

The problem you are describing occurs when the arch specific portion of
a package is installed in /usr/lib64/ and the arch independent portion
is installed in /usr/lib/.

This is not the case in the scenario I describe: the whole of an arch
specific package is installed into /usr/lib64/ and the whole of an arch
independent package is installed into /usr/lib/.

I still don't know what exactly the OP is seeing, though.

-Toshio