LVM not fit for default

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Dec 23 11:18:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 10:35 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 21:48 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> >> When LVM fails though, there are no recovery tools.  You can recover the
> >> filesystem inside an LVM (I speak from experience) but your only friends
> >> are dd and a hex editor.  There is no redundancy unlike genuine
> >> filesystems like ext2/3, if the LVM chunk before the actual filesystem
> >> is corrupted, the volume won't mount as LVM and that's your lot from the
> >> One True Way.
> >
> > And you could have set your laptop on top of a tape degausser.  You have
> > been making regular backups haven't you?
>
> I had a backup a week old, but that doesn't excuse LVM from *escalating
> a lost sector into a lost filesystem*.  Why ask me about my personal
> disaster recovery when we talk about taking action to minimize the
> chance of disaster for the whole class of storage?
>
> When LVM is inflicted on to situations that cannot benefit from it, the
> end result is you made something more fragile for no gain: that can't be
> right.

Every PV keeps duplicate copies of the metadata by default. You can
optionally make it store three. Two at the start, one at the end. And
every PV in a VG has a copy of the metadata as well. So with two PVs
that's four copies of the metadata by default, and optionally 6.

... And backing up your LVM metadata to your /boot partition isn't a bad
idea either. As well as an offline backup.

So I have 11 copies of my LVM metadata. That seems rather redundant to
me.