ESR "fedora-submit"

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Dec 25 01:58:40 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt <fedora at wir-sind-cool.org>:
> make new-sources FILES="foo-2.0.tar.bz2 foo-data-2.0.tar.bz2"
> blah-blah > foo.spec
> make clog
> make commit -F clog
> make tag && make build
>
> However, before you think you feel capable enough to script that and
> submit each and every update like that, you still cannot avoid spending
> time on creating good quality packages which are not infested with lots of
> packaging bugs.

I agree with you.  What I don't understand is why you think this has
anything to do with my complaint.  No matter how much stuff I have to
do before the mechanical part of shipping, when it gets to that
mechanical part, I want to *push a button and be done*!

> > The question remains.  Do I have to *do shit by hand* to get point
> > releases into the receiving end of your wonderful review process?
>
> There is no review process for updates.

OK, it's helpful to know that.

> > Can I script an update to the CVS?
>
> Can you script the updates to your spec files in a reliable way?

Yes.  I do that already.

> And let me point out that you cannot script the testing of your rpms prior
> to submitting them as official updates for Fedora. ;)

True, but I think you added the smiley because you know it isn't really
relevant.

> > I've still got the bloody printed application form on my desk.  But
> > I never filled it out because nobody persuaded me that I wouldn't
> > be letting myself in for a nightmare of bureaucracy and repetitive
> > hand-work.
>
> FUD.

Yes, FUD.  Too much FUD in your process, or at least your representation
of it to the world.  You need to fix that.