LVM not fit for default

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Dec 25 05:19:55 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 02:48pm, Andy Green wrote:
> Lamont Peterson wrote:
> > LVM is one of the coolest things there is.  Many people don't understand
> > the basics of how & why LVM is, simply because they don't know where to
> > get the
>
> When LVM fails though, there are no recovery tools.  You can recover the
> filesystem inside an LVM (I speak from experience) but your only friends
> are dd and a hex editor.  There is no redundancy unlike genuine
> filesystems like ext2/3, if the LVM chunk before the actual filesystem
> is corrupted, the volume won't mount as LVM and that's your lot from the
> One True Way.
>
> LVM binding raided storage together makes sense and buys you something.
>   LVM being the default -- even for a laptop that cannot increase its
> permanent storage -- only has the capacity to make a crisis into a
> disaster.

On my laptops, the hard drive is quite a bit bigger than I "knew what to do
with" at the time I installed.

For example, this notebook has an 80GB drive.  The last 20GB is WinXP, the
first 100MB is /boot/, the next 1GB is swap and the rest is LVM (4 partitions
total).  When I installed FC on here, I created a 512MB /, 3GB /usr/,
256MB /var/, 128MB /var/log/, 128MB /tmp/ and 5GB /home/.

Later, I created a 2GB /var/lib/mysql/, 2GB /var/lib/pgsql/ and a
10GB /download/.  At one point, I was playing around with a 4GB /opt/oracle/
and a 4GB /opt/db2/.  I once expanded /home/ to 15GB and /download/ to 10GB
while downloading some DVD .iso files.

Even on a notebook, without RAID, I've found that being able to reallocate
space to/from LVs to grow/shrink the filesystems has been incredibly handy.

Of course, the alternatives are use one big / partition (that sucks) or keep
moving partitions around in order to grow/shrink filesystems (that sucks,
too).  I think I'll stick with LVM.

BTW, I'm thinking that my next notebook just might be one of these models that
can house 2 2.5-inch hard drives internally (not in a docking bay) and use
LVM on RAID1.  As much traveling as I do, I have lost a couple of hard drives
over the years (I have another that started exhibiting bad sectors just the
other day).
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.