Does Core have an accurate count of packages which are built against libraries from firefox?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 21:06:35 UTC 2006

Since the last firefox update I have been trying to trackdown ALL the
packages which are affected by the change in location of libraries
that come in the versioned firefox.  The problem here is, is that the
autogenerated requires on libraries doesn't catch the fact that the
library has moved, so you won't actually get any depchain errors from
rpm. This makes its pretty tough to track all the affected packages
down as an end-user without installing the world.

Does anyone anywhere have a complete list of affected packages, or is
clever enough to generate such a list programmatically that doesn't
involved installing all of fedora space?
In Core I already know about gnome-python2-extras because it affected
applications that I use.

But I just ran into the fact that esc was also affect by the firefox
update by accident.
/usr/lib/esc-1.0.0/xulrunner/xulrunner-bin  links against
libmozjs.so
libxpcom.so
which can't be found by the linker since these are both packages in
the versioned firefox directory tree. My god damn home workstation
died yesterday(merry christmas to me!) so if someone else can bugzilla
this before I get a chance...go right ahead.

The main point of this post however is that I don't think we are doing
a good job of coordinating maintainers so they can respond as quickly
as possible when a firefox update is pushed so they can rebuild their
packages.  We've had a lovely little chat in #fedora-extras with the
firefox maintainer, and he's absolutely right there needs to be a
toolized way for each maintainer with a package who builds against
firefox to set a sort of watch in the build or update system against
firefox looking for new builds.

So what exactly can we do, in the form of policy and in the form
toolized automation which can help prevent or mitigate an unreasonable
amount of lag between when a firefox package is built and when
maintainers finally notice that other packages need to be rebuilt?
Are there additional review steps we can do to check for this
condition at the time of package review?  The Core packages have to be
reviewed before the merger right? I'd like to see if we can bury this
issue as part of those reviews. Should everyone building against
firefox libraries be using versioned firefox requires? Can we add an
rpmlint check for this?

-jef"word to the wise, do not eat expresso chocolate mousse cake at 9
PM if you want to go to sleep before 2 AM"spaleta