Move Evolution to Extras?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 09:27:56 UTC 2006

> * Saikat Guha (2006-12-28 10:21 -0500) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 10:09 -0500, Saikat Guha wrote:
> >> On Fedora-devel, Evolution is responsible for 78% of the emails.
> >> The next closest is Sylpheed with 9%
> >
> > Correction. I didn't test for the User-Agent header.
> > Out of 2075 mails,
> >
> > Evolution   29.8313%
> > Thunderbird 21.3976%
> > Mutt        18.8916%
> > KMail        8.8675%
> > Mozilla      5.4940%
> > SquirrelMail 2.2651%
>
> Thank you for verifying my claim.
>
> The only reason Evolution has a slight edge over other email clients
> is the fact that it is the default email client installed and even put
> on gnome panel. If we stop doing this, I expect the percentage of
> Evolution to drop sharply.

I disagree entirely. If the mailing-list was something like fedora
users or a newbies list that would be quite likely but on fedora-devel
people should know how to select their own mail client, whether it be
in core or extras, and be generally able to make up their own mind.

For the general population I think evo is fine, it is without doubt
that it definitely needs help on edge cases and some stability stuff
but I think that if the evo team would merge some of the branches out
there we'd fix the majority of the problems and see a great
improvement.

Peter