Don't make Evolution the default mailer (was: Move Evolution to Extras?)

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 00:07:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 17:22 +0000, Leo wrote:
> Since Core and Extras are to be merged. I have changed the subject.
>
> * Gilboa Davara (2006-12-29 09:36 +0200) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > The OP made a bold statement about *Fedora* users. I would have been
> > nice if he took the time to back it up with solid numbers.
>
> What kind of number do you need?

The only number that means jack sh*t is Fedora head count.
I don't care about Windows users - no do I care about Slackware users
(that dropped GNOME long ago).
I can about Fedora users.

As such, the mailing list numbers seem to contradict your initial claim
("Evolution is useless for most users now. ") because as it stands, most
of people reading your post, are doing it using Evolution.

> Evolution may be useful for users need to sync with PDA or connect to
> an EXCHANGE server. But that is a very small portion.

Small portion?
Again. BACK_THIS_UP_WITH_NUMBERS.

> Being bloated, slow and memory hog, evolution is useless. There are other MUAs doing
> a better job in almost all things.

For me evolution works. Not great, but works.
If it doesn't work for you... it is your choice to remove it.
Don't take away my -right- to use Evolution, just because you're too
lazy to exercises yours. (To remove it)

> > BTW, once Thunderbird / Lightning get OpenSync/Pilot support, I'll
> > be the first one to dump Evo.  Until such time (and as long as KMail
> > remains a usability nightmare [and this from an avid KDE user...]),
> > leave Evolution be.
>
> So there is no point making it a default mailer.

If Fedora users were the mind-less-drones that you consider them to be,
they would be using Windows.
instead of Linux "Because it there by default"
The mere number of non-Evolution users combined with the mere number of
KMAIL and/or KDE users on this list makes your post look over simplified
and narrow-minded.

- Gilboa