Don't make Evolution the default mailer (was: Move Evolution to Extras?)

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sat Dec 30 12:26:48 UTC 2006

Sex, 2006-12-29 às 17:22 +0000, Leo escreveu:
> Evolution may be useful for users need to sync with PDA or connect to
> an EXCHANGE server. But that is a very small portion. Being bloated,
> slow and memory hog, evolution is useless. There are other MUAs doing
> a better job in almost all things.

You obviously are fortunate enough not to have an important enough role
in a Microsoft-enabled-lan company, medium size to big.

In fact, it would appear as if your email needs are quite satisfied with
gmail, which says a lot :)

If you *only* do email, sure... Evolution is a massive hog. Heck, even
the adorable mutt does a better job.

However, as you have meetings, and need to properly reply to
invitations, and such other things, even without connecting to the
exchange server as I don't (I got to have email forwarded to a more sane
server) you will need such kind of integrated features.

I tried Kontact and it seemed yet worse at the time, and integrates
badly on the "GNOME way" of the desktop.

Right now I have a series of links in mutt's mail folder in order to
access my emails from mutt for when an accident might happen (see how I
*don't* trust Evolution even though I use it?)...

If you are unfortunate to work on a Micrsoft-enabled-lan as I do, then
you'd appreciate it more.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?