packet writing

Rafael Espíndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 02:14:08 UTC 2006

> It should be easy to port this script, but I think that we can do
> better. I am planning to write an udev rule to run pktsetup every time
> check-cdrom.sh detects a cd-rw or a dvd-rw. Do you think that it would
> be a good thing to do?

/etc/udev/rules/50-udev.rules:

KERNEL=="hd[a-z]", BUS=="ide", SYSFS{removable}=="1",
PROGRAM=="check-cdrom.sh %k CD-R", SYMLINK+="cdwriter cdwriter-%k cdrw
cdrw-%k", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe pktcdvd"

I am a bit confused on how to run pktsetup. I think that the commands
should be in a new file that can be included in udevtools, so I create
a file named 52-pktsetup.rules:

KERNEL=="hd[a-z]", BUS=="ide", SYSFS{removable}=="1",
PROGRAM=="check-cdrom.sh %k CD-R", RUN+="/usr/bin/pktsetup %k %p"

Apparently pktsetup is not being run. Replacing the command with a
"/bin/sh -c 'echo hi > /root/test" doesn't create a test file....

Is there a log file I can check?

Best Regards,
Rafael