Proposed and major updates policy

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:30:29 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
>> The PERFECT solution.. is to integrate update notifications back into
>> available client tools.. so noone has to dink around with any
>> mailinglist at all to see update annoucements. In the perfect world,
>> all you have to do is ask your client tool to  give you a summary of
>> relevant notifications for each repo you are interested in from the
>> repo metadata.
>
> I strongly agree that users shouldn't need to fumble through mail in
> order to read update announcements.  This should be part of our package
> metadata and easily browsable using package management tools.

It's a nice solution if it's also available via the web. The various
mailing list archives make it easy to follow the list of updates even if
you're not logged into the system you need to update. If the only way of
following update announcements is to run yum or some other client
repodata-aware client tool, it becomes difficult to follow the
announcements from machines without this client tool (e.g., Windows
workstations), or from places like Internet cafes, where the only tool
you have is a web browser.