Questioning Pirut

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 19:25:26 UTC 2006

Tim -- first off, my apologies for not getting back to your mail.
Between travel and then trying to get test releases out, I just haven't
managed to get enough time to sit down and type this up.

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 07:15 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> I have suggested to the developers to join forces and get Yum Extender
> a.k.a yumex in shape to get into Core.
> I takes time to make a good package manager gui and there are no need to
> start from scratch.

It's not really starting from scratch in this case, though, as we're
leveraging a lot of the work that has had to be done for anaconda.  As
with system-config-packages before it, pirut has largely been driven by
UI and other decisions made for anaconda so that we can provide a
consistent interface around software selection during and after the
installation process.

> The current development release of yumex 0.99.9, currently in
> extras-development, is in good shape and works in both
> FC4 and rawhide. (and in RHEL 4 (with yum 2.4.x & CentOS 4.2)

I think that yumex is great and provides what a lot of people are
looking for, but at the same time, don't think that it provides the
experience that we're looking to provide as a part of the installer, etc

Jeremy