Hotplug: no more fstab entries

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Feb 23 13:31:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 14:19 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:47:34 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Don't be silly. You can still use /etc/fstab and/or mount(1). Even
> > with the new /disk/disk/by-label etc. symlinks you can construct a
> > persistent entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> Nonetheless, what was wrong with the old behaviour (dropping a directory
> in /media for each plugged in device)? I do not even particulary care about
> the entries in /etc/fstab, as long as "mount /media/usbdisk" does what it
> is supposed to do.

The thing is... we don't know a priori what mount point (and mount
options) is to be used. With gnome-mount, this decision now comes from
the desktop session. Right now the logic is hard wired into the
gnome-mount sources itself but we're working on fixing this to read it
from gconf; see

 http://freedesktop.org/~david/gnome-mount-properties-0.01.png

for some work in progress.

> Can I restore the old behaviour somehow?

Not really, no. But nothing prevents you from write an fstab-sync like
program yourself and submitting it to Fedora Extras.

    David