Make hardlinking kernel-devel optional

Trever L. Adams tadams-lists at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 1 15:57:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 17:21 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:44:17PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>  > Hi.
>  >
>  > I't like to request to make the hardlink stage kernel-devel does on every
>  > install optional. It takes a damn lot of time on my not-too-fast machines,
>  > I do not exactly care about the saved disk space, and given the rate of
>  > kernel changes in rawhide there are a lot of wasted CPU cycles there.
>
> only if you have a huge number of kernels installed, which shouldn't be the case.

This is not entirely true. I have a K6-2 500 with 256 M of memory. It
takes FOREVER to install or remove a kernel when there are only 1 or 2
installed. It is about the only thing that takes forever.

Trever
--
"What makes his world so hard to see clearly is not its strangeness but
its usualness. Familiarity can blind you." -- Robert M. Pirsig