XGL

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 23:44:23 UTC 2006

Benjy Grogan wrote:

> I hear that in a week or so Novell will be releasing the source code to
> XGL for X11 7.0.

Well David Reveman released a snapshot about a month ago
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-January/011922.html

> Will it be possible to have XGL available in Extras
> for FC5?

 From what I understand the new code has/is being worked back into the
xorg tree by Dave Airlie (and others?) but there are various
xgl/xegl/xserver/kdrive trees to take into account, as well as the
public work that was going on while novell were doing the
behind-closed-doors work, and at the moment I think it only works using
nested X servers, my *GUESS* is that it won't see the light of before
X11R7.1 at the *EARLIEST*

> I'm guessing it's one of those new X11 modules that v7.0 is
> all about.  But I know little about XGL and would like to test it out to
> know more.  It's going to be in NLD 10 in a few months.

Modular X is designed to help thuis sort of thing, but it's not minor
what you're asking for, I think you need to wait for FC6 or later ...