/usr/bin/gcj-dbtool problem

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 05:11:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 23:11 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> CCing Andrew Haley

> > For a while i have the the problem that /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool hangs until
> > i kill it. This is a problem because most java packages use it in their
> > %pre and %post script, and so all installs (and updates) of java
> > programs like eclipse and openoffice hang.
>
> I believe Andrew Haley was tracking this down.  I don't think it has
> anything to do with the CDT.

I was having a problem with this once with mock and the Extras
buildsystem, and we thought the cause might have been python <= 2.3,
which masks _all_ signals for new threads.  Somebody said that gcj uses
signals for thread control, which may have lead to a deadlock waiting
for a thread to exit when the signal was simply ignored due to python
stupidity.  Not sure if signal masks have anything to do with rpm, but
it seemed to be the issue with python <= 2.3.

Dan