Question about Fedora Extras 5

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:42:58 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> >I know lots of people that have 28/56k internet connections that I
> >want to give Fedora to, but it's a lot of effort for them to wait for
> >hundreds of MB of updates. Would it be possible to provide
> >updates-released CDs as well, even as part of an automated process? A
> >bonus would be to have a way to install these updates on an already
> >installed system.
> >
> Updates-release CD for core or extras or both?. Any additional release
> would require additional QA to ensure that updates arent merely trading
> one set of bugs for another. See earlier discussions in the list for
> details.

Core updates. Why would it require any more QA than is currently done?
It would simply be a snapshot of the updated packages at that instance
of time. Just like if I had done a 'yum update' at that exact time, my
system would be left in the same state. Any additional CDs would come
with just as much disclaimer as having your system in any other
particular state of updation. While it may in some cases be simply
trading one set of bugs for another, they key difference in this case
is that bandwidth required for future updates is much less if you
already have your system installed using an updated set of packages.
It's the difference between requiring 30mb of updates in the first
month and requiring 300mb of updates in the first month.

n0dalus.