Replace mozilla with SeaMonkey?

Jim Cornette fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 3 04:47:58 UTC 2006

Kai Engert wrote:
> Yes, I already worked in my spare time on producing SeaMonkey RPM packages.
> I selected a combination of patches from the set currently used in
> Firefox, Thunderbird and Mozilla RPM packages.
> I made it so that Mozilla and SeaMonkey can be installed at the same time.

Would they use the same profile as Netscape 7 does? The query is mainly
due to email accounts, bookmarks are rather large. I don't think needing
to import all this information into another profile would be desirable.
The different directories for Thunderbird and for mozilla are one
feature that I do not care for.

> I would like to wait with publishing the package until Chris had a
> chance to review spec file and patches.
> I'll post to the list once we're done.
> Also note, this will be my first package for Extras, so it might take me
> a bit longer to get it included there.

Looking forward to the rpms being available in Extras. Either location
is fine with me. Since Seamonkey is a suite instead of seperate
applications, I would appreciate its inclusion somewhere.

> For FC 5, we think Mozilla 1.7.x should still be included.
> That seems reasonable as other packages might depend on Mozilla (?), and
> the GRE it provides (see /etc/gre.conf). I don't know whether SeaMonkey
> 1.0 can be used as a compatible drop-in replacement for that. It's
> probably not a good idea to remove Mozilla that late in the FC 5 release
> process.

I agree.

> After FC 5, we might either remove Mozilla 1.7.x from Core, or move it
> over to Extras. But if Extras contains SeaMonkey, there might no longer
> be a need to provide Mozilla 1.7.x, too.

Seamonkey maintenence sounds sufficient. I just like the composer for
dealing with html docs in windows and Linux. I could do with just a drop
in replacement that is being maintained.

> Kai
>
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> On 02/02/2006 08:19 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>>> Helllo all,
>>>
>>> With the release of the SeaMonkey 1.0, shouldn't Fedora replace the
>>> aging mozilla-1.7.x package (.12 in both rawhide and FC5T2) with the new
>>> SeaMonkey package?
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

I downloaded the non-rpm version and will try out the package.

>> The eventual goal is to drop the mozilla based browsers from Core and
>> move them to Extras, so SeaMonkey should do that now.  I think Kai
>> Engert has an SRPM lying around somewhere.

Jim

--
Where do you want Bill Gates to go today?

    -- From a Slashdot.org post