Rawhide performance?

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:52:52 UTC 2006

Zaffar wrote:
>> Adding a further question, should I file a bug against the combined
>> rad-hat menu? it waits til it is first clicked on to check for
>> updates. The Gnome default menu (three buttons applications, and the
>> other two) seems to work straight away.
>Which updates?
Updates to the .desktop files.(I may be talking from the rear though... that
is a guess...)

> The combined menu seems to have got faster since yesterday I think...
> > but it still takes a noticeable amount of time, as (I assume) it is
> > looking for the desktop files after being clicked on for the first time.
>
> How many seconds of difference is there between the RH menu and the
> stock GNOME menu?

My system:
Pentium 3 667mhz. 768 MB of 133 SDRAM. Latest Rawhide (3 February... test
carried out after full update at 3pm UK time...)

Testing: try one menu type, reboot, try other. Wait til everything is loaded
before trying. timing method: 1 elephant, 2 elephant, 3 elephant. (Sorry...
that loses this 'test' alot of credibility...)

1. Combined menu: Approx 7 seconds on a cold boot.
2. Default gnome-menu: immediate. 0 seconds on cold boot.
3. after logging out and logging back in without a reboot, the combined menu
still takes around 1.5 seconds.

These times feel faster than it was taking a few days before my first post.
(I mentioned I felt a speed up a few days prior to that email...). And the
system is frozen while the combined menu does its thing.