Proposed and major updates policy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 4 13:31:10 UTC 2006

Hi

Currently the usage of updates-testing repository for proposed updates
to a release is entirely based on the package maintainer and in many
cases seems to be arbitrary for the end users.  Can we have a policy to
ensure to that all the updates have a week or so of testing period in
the updates-testing repository with the exception of security updates
which go through a shorter duration of testing?. It might also be better
to have some consistency in between providing updates for major
revisions of packages. KDE got a major update while GNOME and Firefox
didnt in Fedora Core 4 as an example of current status.

While the current amount of feedback that we receive from end users on
the packages in updates-testing repository is low to non existent, it
would be better to encourage usage of that and provide interested
testers a chance to send in feedback rather than releasing it
immediately to the updates repository leading to potential regressions
more rapidly.

--
Rahul