Sessions and how to get rid of the RHN alert icon

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 4 22:10:10 UTC 2006

I've heard this argument many times: "Windows starts up faster, then
takes too long to load the systray applets, hence Linux is faster
". I haven't used Windows in a while, but my Linux experience is not
very positive when it comes to applets - GNOME takes a long time to load
them, and until they're all loaded the panel is unusable. Since all my
startup icons are on the panel, I can't launch any applications. How is
this any different?

I blame the RHN alert icon. I don't know if it's the root of the
problem, but I use rawhide, and I don't need an alert icon anyway. So,
I'd like to get rid of it. However, it keeps coming back. If you click
on Configuration -> Forward -> Remove from Panel, it disappears, but
keeps coming back on every login. The same thing happens if you remove
it from the Current Session.

There used to be a checkbox "Save Session" on the Log Out button, but I
don't see it anymore. How do I get rid of the icon, and save the
session, so that it doesn't come back?