CD/DVD Burning

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Sun Feb 5 07:39:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:21:09AM -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
> I tried to do the same, but every time I burned ISOs from nautilus,
> the result was corrupted (I only tried to burn the FC{34} ISOs,
> and then I checked them with anaconda's built-in tester). Of course,
> burning them with k3b (same box, same images, CDs from same batch)
> resulted in working CDs...
>
> Did anyone encounter the same behavior?

I don't know if this is the same problem, but... last month I used
Nautilus on my new FC4 laptop to burn a CD with a few pictures on them.
I quickly checked the contents of the disc after burning it and it
seemed fine. Days later, my brother tells me that the last few pictures
had problems. He could see their names in the directory, but neither a
PC nor a Mac could read the actual files. Of course I had tested only a
random sample of the first pictures.

That was the only CD I needed to burn in the past couple of years (I
use the network otherwise), so I didn't think twice about it and blamed
it on the media. A CD-R is so cheap these days that I just can't
convince myself to trust it. Now I am having second thoughts; maybe it
was nautilus (or the kernel) that messed up the final 4-5 MB of data.
Ignoring the ISO checksum, can you actually compare the contents of the
CD and its loop-mounted ISO image? You could use diff -qr to find out
which files are to blame. cmp can tell you the offsets inside the files
where the differences lie.

--
Rudi