Proposed and major updates policy

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 03:01:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:09:04AM +0900, Warren Togami wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >On 2/5/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> >>This is far from perfect solution. Easy example:
> >
> >The PERFECT solution.. is to integrate update notifications back into
> >available client tools.. so noone has to dink around with any
> >mailinglist at all to see update annoucements. In the perfect world,
> >all you have to do is ask your client tool to  give you a summary of
> >relevant notifications for each repo you are interested in from the
> >repo metadata.
>
> I strongly agree that users shouldn't need to fumble through mail in
> order to read update announcements.  This should be part of our package
> metadata and easily browsable using package management tools.

This has been in the works for quite some time now, and is nearing
completion. The current implementation[0] we've been discussing is to
have a central metadata server which will be [optionally] queried by
createrepo to acquire the update metadata.

More details can be found on the yum-devel thread[1].

luke

[0]: http://people.redhat.com/lmacken/metadata/
[1]: https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum-devel/2006-January/001840.html