Fedora Core 5 Test 3 Slip

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Feb 7 14:18:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 16:05 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:

> >>Mostly just an a to z thing.  The way our current build system works,
> >>every package is installed into the build root, so at this point we're
> >>pretty assured that all build reqs will be met.  This is not optimal for
> >>many reasons, and a replacement build system is being developed that
> >>fixes this.
> >

> > I know that yum/mock/plague doesn't quite fit the bill as a beehive
> > replacement, but it would be nice if RedHat could work with the
> > community to extend yum/mock/plague rather than re-inventing the wheel.
> >
> > I know that one thing that plague could use is a way to easily switch
> > the plague client between two or more plague servers.
>
> s/RedHat/Red Hat/
>
> Would it make that much of a difference though, or would people still
> say the same thing?  I think even if Red Hat devoted 2 or more
> employees working full time on mock/plague that people would still
> say the same thing.  Why do I think that?  Well for starters, Red Hat
> has contributed quite a lot to plague already from what I understand.
> I don't know the level of contribution to mock, but it gets heavy
> usage internally by individuals, and our next generation buildsystem
> is aparently based on mock/plague.  What more exactly are you looking
> for?

For mock, the only thing that would be nice to have is a way to cache a
"clean" build root.  Having to set up a fresh build root every time you
build a package is a major time waste.

For plague, the first thing that would be nice would be some
documentation.  I know that's asking a lot, but hey this is a wish list,
so I'm gonna aim high.  I don't know how many people outside of the
Fedora admin crew have tried to set up a full plague buildsystem but it
took me some time and reading source code to get a system up and
running.

The second thing would be a better X.509 certificate management utility.
Since plague uses TLS and X.509 certificates for
encryption/authentication it would be nice to have something better for
managing certificates than the openssl command line.

> I suppose Red Hat could in theory hire every single person who
> has contributed to either project...   ;o)

Hey, I'm available!  And I've contributed one (itty bitty eentsy
weentsy) fix to mock. :).

>    But then there would
> be conspiracy theories about something else right? ;o)

There is no Red Hat cabal. :)

Jeff