nothing from buildsys?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Feb 8 10:13:14 UTC 2006

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:36:52AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>As a total side-question though, just for personal curiousity...
>>
>>1) How many people actually download the SRPMS disk images?
>

> I routinely download the SRPMS, though I grab them from the SRPMS/
> directories on the servers.  Not much interest in the disk images,
> since after a few weeks there are dozens if not hundreds of updates.

Yeah, that's why I am of the general mindset that the SRPMS disks
are kindof useless for the most part.  They are perhaps useful for
archival of the exact source of the binary disks in case someone
really really needs that down the line and wants to ensure they have
a local copy.  But for most practical purposes, IMHO at least, the
SRPMS dir on the ftp servers is much more useful. ;)

>>2) How many people actually really use them for anything?
>
> I keep SRPMS for several reasons:

I keep SRPMS for many reasons too.  I get them from our internal
server (porkchop), or our CVS server, or from our ftp servers though.
I just wondered what reasons people would download the SRPMS DVD ISO
image and burn it to a disk.  SRPMS are useful, no question, but how
useful is a set of outdated SRPMS in a week or two? ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.