nothing from buildsys?

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Wed Feb 8 15:51:16 UTC 2006

> I just wondered what reasons people would download the SRPMS DVD ISO
> image and burn it to a disk.  SRPMS are useful, no question, but how
> useful is a set of outdated SRPMS in a week or two? ;o)

There is a non-ignorable set of installations that never yum or up2date.
They always run the original official release and nothing else.
They have very good external firewalls; some are even disconnected
from all external networks.  The users are either all experts, or all
newbies.  The budget for maintenance is zero.  The disaster recovery plan
for system software (as opposed to application data) is: re-install
the last official release from the gold[en] CDs.  This is guaranteed
to be a perfect recovery, with no possibility of any changes.
If you are a consultant to such a system, then the SRPMs DVD never
becomes outdated.  [Some of these systems do run RHEL named update
rollups, such as Taroon Update 5.  But it is installed fresh from
the full CD .iso images, not as an upgrade to any earlier release.]