Xen network performance problem during kickstart.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Wed Feb 15 07:12:29 UTC 2006

Howdy,

So the new hypervisor kernel is working fine which is just dandy. And so
now I'm testing the host install process.  I'm doing network installs
(http) and the performance is just awful. A build to a non xen-guest
takes about 5 minutes, however from within the domain it is taking over
four hours for a cut down (couple of gig) install.

If it was doing this on standalone hardware I'd say it looks like a
duplex problem killing network performance, however network performance
from the main instance (domain-0) is full whack at 10+MB/sec even when
doing two xen guest installs at the same time.  I am building from a
local mirror of the devel tree and a transfer of a large file from there
to domain-0 is happening at 1.46MB/sec.  So the install should not be
taking this long I would suggest unless there is a problem.

So, anybody have any tips as to how to diagnose what the problem might
be? "xm top" shows network traffic at a very slow rate, ifconfig shows
no errors on the vifs.

Cheers,