Grub password by default?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Feb 16 18:23:46 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Small question/suggestion:
> By default, Anaconda doesn't require a grub password.
> A user must manually select "Use a bootloader password" in-order to set
> on up.
> Is there a specific reason for that?

Yes, if I can pick the machine up physically, and throw it out the
window, a grub password wont stop me.  Or spill a coffee in the front
grille.

Yeah, an extremist response...  ;o)

The idea is that if you have physical access to a machine, you
can do absolutely anything to it, regardless of any passwords.

A grub password is kindof like the combination lock on the front
of a guitar case.  It isn't real security.  Someone can just steal
the entire guitar case if they want to, and pick/break the lock
later.

Forcing the additional inconvenience of an extra password on
everyone, when it buys no real security for the overall general
audience, and most people would end up wanting to disable it
anyway - is not a good OS default.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.