yum upgrade from FC5test3 to FC5?

Jim Cornette fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 18 02:12:14 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>> What are we, psychic? There are so many things that could change between
>> a test release and a final release. *That's* why the upgrade is
>> unsupported, not because the tool can't cope.
>
> just a question!
> you know debian does update with apt-get
> the debian guys use this issue to advertise the advantages of their distro
> but how can one defend yum here?

apt-get and dselect (i believe) are alright for some purposes. I did
have more problems with apt-get pulling a working system by removing
critical packages. Yum on the other hand fails with a dependably problem
and fails.
The compiler language for apt-get seems to be quicker acting than the
programming language that yum uses. The logic regarding upgrading is
better in my view for the yum approach.

Jim

--
The easiest way to get the root password is to become system admin.
	-- Unknown source