The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:16:26 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, Kaimano <haydude at ezplanet.net> wrote:

> If I seriously need eclipse, I will go an get the latest JDK from Sun and
> the latest eclipse from eclipse.org and run them as such, they install in
> minutes and I can update them whenever available. FC5 has created a
> massive and unnecessary overhead of work essential to keep up with the
> latest releases.

This is exactly the reason we decided to exclude eclipse from our RHEL 4 WS
kickstarts.  Engineering will  want their own specialized version of eclipse
anyway...

Although I do like having it avalible as a rpm install for my own personal
use.

Assume an hipotetical scenario of an organization that rolled out Linux
> desktop to 35000 workstations. The roadmap includes a desktop refresh in
> no less than five years due to costs implications.

This is why we went with RHEL instead of Fedora.  I really miss my FC4
desktop from my last job but we're asking our users to work with RHEL so I'm
using it as my desktop...

The core e-Mail application is evolution 2.0. A bug is found on evolution
> which requires upgrading to the latest 2.4. But ... evolution 2.4 requires
> python 2.4, our installed base is on a distribution based on python 2.3
> (like FC2) which is...

Yeah, we have to get Red Hat to supply patches for the existing 2.0 branch.
It isn't optimal