Xen issues - Was Xen network performance problem during kickstart.

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 17:17:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 01:11 +0900, Naoki wrote:

> Cheers, just tried as of a few minutes ago and it's still with me..
>
> kernel BUG at include/asm/xor.h:633!
> invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> SMP
> Modules linked in: xor raid1 raid0 xennet sr_mod sd_mod scsi_mod cdrom
> squashfs loop nfs nfs_acl lockd sunrpc vfat fat cramfs
> CPU:    0

Working fine for me.  Are you using 32- or 64-bit here?  It may be that
the 32-bit install is still broken, but 64-bit certainly doesn't show it
for me.

> > > 2) Ridiculously slow : 4 hours for a guest install of ‾500mb. No
> > > identifiable host problem.  I'm trying to do a network install and the
> > > instance running right now is doing less than 1 byte/sec according to
> > > "xm top".
>
> Just had it complete an install in an hour. Which is better.  Ran some
> tests.

I just did a graphical NFS domU install in about 20 minutes.

That was with a 400MB guest, though --- install really likes a lot of
memory, and you can often shrink the guest significantly after the
install.  Was your guest memory-constrained?

> 932.47 KB/s

Even 1MB/sec should be plenty fast enough for an NFS install.  But my
domU is showing >8MB/sec from a remote NFS mount; I've no idea why you
are seeing such a difference between domU and dom0.  Is this an
otherwise-idle machine?

--Stephen