The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Feb 20 19:47:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 04:22:00PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:56 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
> >  But openmotif isn't even free software,
>
> Depends on your definition of "free software". Motif had been closed
> source until several years ago, but times are a-changing:

It is not an osi approved licence. I believe that it wouldn't qualify for
being in extras. debian motif is based on lesstif.

> # rpm -q --qf '%{LICENSE}\n' openmotif
> Open Group Public License
>
> And lesstif, meanwhile is more or less without any practical importance,
> anymore (It's not even part of FC or FE anymore)

I was planning to package lesstif for extras, but it is not obvious, as it
conflicts with openmotif, and isn't binary compatible. It doesn't mean
that there are functionalities in openmotif that are used in motif apps
that are in extras. Indeed, I haven't looked at the details, but it
seems to me that all the motif apps in extras would be happy with lesstif
motif. However, as there is no library versionning coordinated for lesstif
and openmotif, I think it is hopeless.

--
Pat