The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Feb 21 13:54:54 UTC 2006

> * this doesn't match to their FAQ, where they claim to be wanting to aim
> at OSI compatibility.

Yep, but in the previous question they explain that the licence isn't
allready OSI compatible:

QUESTION:

Does the Open Group Public License for Motif meet the Open Source Guidelines?

ANSWER:

No. The Open Group Public License for Motif grants rights only to use the software on or with operating systems that are themselves Open Source programs. In restricting the applicability of the license to Open Source platforms this does not meet term 8 of the Open Software Definition (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).

> What concerns me much more on Fedora and Linux is OpenMotif's license
> not to being [L]GPL compatible.

That shouldn't be an issue, if openmotif has a [L]GPL incompatible licence
but is shipped as shared libs.

--
Pat