rlocate vs. mlocate

Nathan Grennan fedora-devel-list at cygnusx-1.org
Tue Feb 21 18:31:04 UTC 2006

  I have seen locate be replace by slocate, which has now been replace
with mlocate. mlocate seems nice and all, but why aren't we moving to
rlocate. Sometime in the last few months I got the impression that
mlocate would do what rlocate does. Recently I have been using mlocate
and with the impression it was like rlocate I was very disappointed with
the results. It seemed broken. Today I investigated the reality and
found mlocate is just an incremental improvement on slocate, but still
only runs daily. rlocate seems like the ultimate solution with it's use
of inotify for real time results.

  Why isn't Fedora moving to rlocate? Hopefully it isn't a case of not
invented here, since I notice the mlocate author is a Red Hat employee.