Non-free Extras?

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:50:27 UTC 2006

ons, 22 02 2006 kl. 05:03 -0500, skrev Benjy Grogan:

> On 2/22/06, Avi Kivity <avi at argo.co.il> wrote:
>         Goede, J.W.R. de wrote:
>
>         >Talking about solutions and not problems I propose:
>         >-Fedora Extras (as is)
>         >-Fedora Patent Encumbered (better name) aka
>         > Debian non-US
>         >-Fedora Non Commercial
>         >-Fedora Non Free
>         >
>         >
>         We would also need
>         -Fedora for Non-Lawyers
>
>         for ordinary users. How is one supposed to figure out where to
>         look for
>         things, and what all these repositories mean? This should be
>         kept simple.
>
> Is there a way of including proprietary drivers with the Fedora
> Project?  In time, Nvidia, ATI et al will definitely have the best
> available linux drivers for their hardware so it seems inevitable that
> proprietary drivers will have to be included in Fedora.
>
> They're giving away their drivers for free anyways.

No and on what do you base that statement, I find the best driver
currently to be the ATI r200 driver in the X.org tree and I would
contest that the OGC driver has potential to be another fine driver when
the card is delivered.

- David

--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - the GNOME commentary located at:
www.lovesunix.net/blog