Low OpenGL performance

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 22 14:46:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 08:57, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> Yes, for the "nv" driver, you do not obtain any hardware
> acceleration at all.

   Not quite true, an hasn't been for several years. What you don't
have with 'nv' is direct rendering (DRI). Needed for 3d/accel games.
Prior to SGI's contributions a few years ago, 'glxgears' wouldn't
even run at all.
  (from glxinfo)
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2

> So, the values are still reasonable for pure
> soft rendering and equivalent for my own older hardware with "DRI"
> enabled!
>
> > I get 160/170 on nvidia [Quadro4 NVS AGP 8x].  Standard "nv"
> > driver, no nvidia driver.

   GeF4, nv driver, Athlon XP 3200+/400.. 380 / 390fps on the small
default window, but when run full screen, 1280x1024-24 it drops to
27 / 30fps.

--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas