Proposing a switch to Tango

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 18:13:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:51 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> ons, 22 02 2006 kl. 12:21 -0500, skrev Ray Strode:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I would like to propose replacing the bluecurve icon theme with
> > > tango[1].
> > So it's definitely too late for FC5, given that test3 is already out.
> >
> > My thoughts are we should wait until GNOME adopts it.  If upstream GNOME
> > adopts it, it would be a lot easier choice to make.
> >
> > Just my thoughts, though...
>
> I specifically suggested this be done for the FC6 cycle.
>
> Upstream is not looking to adopt Tango out of the fear that without
> vendor support, it will look like a GNOME only project and thus scare
> off the KDE crowd. Or so it seems. Thus vendor buy in is very important,
> I for one, would love to welcome my new Tango overlords to Fedora since
> I find their style very pleasing and I agree with the aims out getting a
> unified icon standard.
>
> It sounds like The tango developers and artists are very keen on
> cooperating with us to make this happen.

The first step in making this happen is to switch the existing Gnome
icon theme to the (still unfinished) icon naming spec, and make sure
Gnome actually works with it. Once that is done, switching to Tango
should be relatively painless. Note that the switchover of the gnome
icon theme to the naming spec was undertaken in a very poorly managed
fashion during 2.13, so it had to be reverted.

Matthias