Non-free Extras?

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 22 22:07:46 UTC 2006

>> For the moment I haven't heard of an OSS solution with good performance
>> for 3D games....
>>

> My Radeon 9200 works just wonderfully using the Free R200 DRI stack. (Then
> again, I'm not much for heavily graphics-intensive games anyhoo, except
> for the occasional match of Nexuiz with my friends.

I am not very impressed with the benchmarks for this particular card (I
am looking at 9200 SE 128).
It appears to be in the same class as an Nvidia GeForce 5200 FX. My
previous generation card was a 5700 FX Ultra, which at this point I
consider obsolete, since it can't run any of the latest games without
significant lag.

Btw, I didn't know about this game... but it appears to suffer from the
same stuttering bug as Doom3 and Quake4 out of the box - will
investigate and file a bugzilla.

The point of my message was that people using non-free software for
certain things have a good reason for doing so - they don't have too
many alternative options. I would certainly prefer an OSS solution, but
since I can't seem to find one, using what's available is the only
course of action that makes sense. Pointing out how much better a free
solution would be if it existed is not helpful - it would be when
there's real choice available. In the meantime, I think it would be in
everyone's benefit if oss could coexist with proprietary solutions.

Anyway, this thread is getting off-topic, so...