Non-free Extras?

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 23 10:54:35 UTC 2006

> >From personal experience i do agree. simple example:
>
> socket 939 nforce 4x board fc4 vs winxp pro sp2 integrated:
>
> FC4: everything working out of the box no additional drivers needed
> besides raid didnt work in the installer. (known problem)
> Rawhide: Raid controller works out of the box aswell
> WinXP pro SP2: Onboard nic not working at all and downloading of
> driver not possible since no working NIC.
Can we please stop posting meaningless examples?

Six years ago, when I started playing around with Linux I couldn't get
my Lucent winmodem to work, and Red Hat would not support it (which was
infuriating for a paying customer). Today, my wireless card does not run
out of the box. By the argument you present above, I should conclude
that Linux has made no progress in six years. Right now we're at 50%
supported hardware (yours works, and mine doesn't).

05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC ( rev 01)
Installation of the Windows driver clearly not possible, so I'm in no
better position than you on WinXP.