Non-free Extras?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Thu Feb 23 11:24:40 UTC 2006

> Six years ago, when I started playing around with Linux I couldn't get
> my Lucent winmodem to work, and Red Hat would not support it (which was
> infuriating for a paying customer).

the good news is that nowadays there is a proper solution for these

> Today, my wireless card does not run
> out of the box. By the argument you present above, I should conclude
> that Linux has made no progress in six years. Right now we're at 50%
> supported hardware (yours works, and mine doesn't).
>
> 05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC ( rev 01)

but these have open source drivers (I'm not talking about the madwifi
proprietary ones, but about the reverse engineered ones).

Sure they're not in fedora (yet), but the work on wireless recently
picked up bigtime so I have good hopes for Fedora Core 6 having a lot
better wireless hw support.