Hotplug: no more fstab entries

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Thu Feb 23 14:02:55 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 14:19 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>

>>Hi.
>>
>>On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:47:34 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>>

>>>Don't be silly. You can still use /etc/fstab and/or mount(1). Even
>>>with the new /disk/disk/by-label etc. symlinks you can construct a
>>>persistent entry in /etc/fstab.
>>>

>>Nonetheless, what was wrong with the old behaviour (dropping a directory
>>in /media for each plugged in device)? I do not even particulary care about
>>the entries in /etc/fstab, as long as "mount /media/usbdisk" does what it
>>is supposed to do.
>>

>The thing is... we don't know a priori what mount point (and mount
>options) is to be used. With gnome-mount, this decision now comes from
>the desktop session. Right now the logic is hard wired into the
>gnome-mount sources itself but we're working on fixing this to read it
>from gconf; see
>
> http://freedesktop.org/~david/gnome-mount-properties-0.01.png
>
>for some work in progress.
>

>>Can I restore the old behaviour somehow?
>>

>Not really, no. But nothing prevents you from write an fstab-sync like
>program yourself and submitting it to Fedora Extras.
>
>    David

Unfortunately, the arguments are piling on for re-evaluating our
distro choice here.  Another thread in this group suggested that
the poster get one of the handy linux reference books to solve
some mounting problems.  I bet they say "mount" and "fstab".
(Has anyone checked wheter posix mandates "mount" for mounting?)