ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jan 1 12:47:12 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 31.12.2005, 17:37 -0600 schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, John Ellson <ellson at research.att.com> said:
> > However, I doubt that overlaps can be completely eliminated, or that
> > it is even desirable to completely eliminate them, so I think it is
> > more important to have a clear mechanism to allow the user to control
> > the default choice, and to be able to override it if desired.
>
> The best thing would be for the third-party repos to be split into
> overlapping and non-overlapping.

And then merge the non-overlapping stuff in one 3rd party community repo
where the repo-maintainers work together instead of against each other.

Okay, RPMforge might have other goals (see the mail from Jeff Pitman in
this thread) so this probably won't fit (but I still wish RPMforge all
the best with their approach).

But if livna, atrpms and freshrpms all mostly use the "don't replace
packages from Core or Extras" approach it might be a good time do forget
about old flamewars ^w discussions an try to work together from now on.

Disclaimer for those who don't know: I maintain several packages in
Livna.

/me wonders if he should abort writing this message.

/me clicks "Send-Button" and hides