ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 06:49:47 UTC 2006

All I see is a rant and a censoring of my statement about how you can
contribute to the 3rd party repository. Remember: "Core/Extras has no
obligation" to help 3rd party repos or enforce a world-wide policy.
That's up to you. And, that's why /etc/yum.repos.d isn't populated
with 3rd party repos by default.

On 1/2/06, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 14:10 +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> > On 1/2/06, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
>
> > > It's the repositories hell, the vengeful progeny of the near-deceased
> > > RPM dependencies hell.
> >
> > Not really. If it's "hell", don't use them. Pretty simple.
>
> Right, so repository XYZ carries the package ABC, which I need, but
> since XYZ fosters the repo hell, I shall simply walk away whistling.
>
> Makes no sense to me, really. The concept of package repositories is a
> very powerful one, but this current situation is crippling.
>
> Fedora per se, plus Extras, is nice, solid and coherent.
> Fedora plus the repositories ecosystem is currently an entity with a
> serious multiple personality disorder.
>
> > And the situation is not synonymous with rpm dep hell, because with
> > apt/yum/smart you don't have to install a random rpm and then download
> > thirty other random rpms to satisfy deps.
>
> I didn't say it's synonymous. But it can be equally frustrating. Or
> more. Such as, enable repo XYZ, do a "yum update", get a broken system
> ("broken" as in "does not work anymore with any other repo, and XYZ must
> be perpetually used from now on otherwise funky things happen"). Do not
> pass Go, do not collect $200.
>
> > The issue is whether Core/Extras should protect base. Most of the 3rd
> > party repo people have chimed in with a unanimous thumb down.
>
> 3rd party repos have no business fiddling with the core packages, since
> that is the root cause of the repo hell. It boggles the mind that this
> is not a self-evident truth.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/