Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 2 16:18:32 UTC 2006

> Then I have to say i can't confirm what you see. I'm not seeing
> appreciable extended periods of high cpu utilization for my rawhide
> synced gnome desktop running the nv driver and selinux permissive mode
> with my normal application usage patterns.  Or even when I try to
> produce it by randomly starting a variety of applications.  You might
> be experiencing something triggered by a specific application that I'm
> not running. You never told us which process was actually cpu spiking
> in your posts so far.
Gnumeric, gnome-terminal, firefox, rhythmbox, applets.
>  Is it the end-user applications, gnome
> infrastructure, X.. the kernel related processes?  Are thereother
> interesting configurations in play mounted network filesystems? raid?

I have a mounted samba share, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
There's no raid.

>>> There are certaintly funtastic issues with gnome at
>>> the moment (like the multiple gnome-terminal problem) on my system,
>>>
>> Which problem is that? I have one where switching to consoles 1-6,8,9
>> makes the screen go pink with a garbled rectangle in one corner, instead
>> of showing the login prompt - it's really fun, especially when X freezes
>> on console 7. (and yes, this was with the nv driver).
>>

> I'm not seeing this behavior at all I can switch consoles all the live
> long day on my rawhide box.  I was refering to the problem with
> gnome-terminal hanging which has been reported in either test-list and
> devel-list by several people in the last week or so... its a problem
> specific to gnome-terminal and has nothing to do with problems are are
> suggesting here which you are suggesting are rather application
> agnostic.

Well, I haven't had any problems with the gnome-terminal hanging :)
Really, most bugs are dependent on configuration issues to detect.
I happen to have every Fedora package installed (with 90% of the
services disabled, of course), so sometimes I get to see fun bugs that
nobody else ever does. For example, did you know that libsafe (used to
be in extras) will break prelink for every app? I found that out
recently, and filed a bug, but now I see libsafe is gone from the repo
(I did prelink successfully after that, so that's not the issue here).

>> Ivan"looking forward to when arjan/jeff stop blaming nvidia for every
>> problem on the fedora desktop, and hell freezes over" G.
>>

> Shrug, hopefully you can find someone who can confirm the problems you
> are experiencing.  I don't see this going very far towards resolution
> without more specifics or some cross-referencing multiple affected
> systems.
Right. I wouldn't normally consider slowness surprising, but it's the
pattern that looks weird to me.
My thinking is that some kind of core gnome library is doing something
wrong.
>> P.S. The nv driver makes my LCD say:
>>

> All of these tests have used the LCD moniter?  I have a crt on my
> system.  Do you need to enable the FlatPanel option for the nv driver?

I have no idea - I don't normally mess with xorg.conf at all (or use the
nv driver). I would expect kudzu (or something) to do more work to
detect what kind of monitor I have - at least get the
frequency/resolutions right.