edit root alias when installing the OS

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 2 21:37:57 UTC 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 17:51, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:51 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Would probably have to be in firstrun, since there's no user accounts
> > created within Anaconda anymore. A simple check box for "deliver system
> > mail to this user" in firstboot that triggers the change ought to do the
> > trick. That's pretty much what SUSE has been doing for a while now.
>
> Hmmm, but I don't think that too many people configure their MUAs to
> slurp in the mailbox of that account.
> Allowing the operator to enter an arbitrary email address to receive the
> email from root might be more realistic.

I think I'm with Michael Peters on this one, it should go to a local user
first. The local account can then be set up w/a .forward/.procmailrc file or
further aliases editing to send it on elsewhere, or the user can just look at
their local mailbox. By default, even if you're not checking the local box,
you get notified of new mail there in a shell, and allowing the user to send
the mail to an external (and possibly not accessible due to any number of
reasons) email address could indeed result in some nasty loops.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com