ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 05:33:23 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 18:12, Warren Togami wrote:
> > If you have concerns about individual packages, please file bugs in Red
> > Hat Bugzilla.  Changes can be made to individual Core/Extras packages
> > are usually general bug fixes and enhancements.  It is wrong to expect
> > Fedora to make special concessions only to work around problems
> > introduced by 3rd parties.  If it is the right thing to do in general
> > cases, then it is proper to make changes to Core/Extras.
>
> I'm not talking so much about problems introduced by 3rd-parties as I am about
> problems/deficiencies uncovered by 3rd-parties, i.e., fixing packages in Core
> in a timely fashion to eliminate the need of 3rd-party packagers to replace
> Core components.

Also, it's good to have allies on the inside. See jpackage FAQ about
"I tried to install foo on Fedora Core 2, but got lots of error
messages and/or things don't work": http://www.jpackage.org/faq.php

Note the line:

"""This issue should be fixed in Fedora Core 3, thanks to Red Hat's
involvement in JPackage."""

Google cache from one of the messages since the archive is broke:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:I2Me1f05Eb0J:lists.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2004-October/011253.html+jpackage-discuss++011253&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Sound familiar? And, in about 6 months "Core/Extras vs 3rd Party"
might show up on this list again...

--
-jeff