edit root alias when installing the OS

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 4 07:24:24 UTC 2006

On Jan 03, 2006, at 20:34, Florin Andrei wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 13:37 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Sunday 01 January 2006 17:51, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>> Allowing the operator to enter an arbitrary email address to
>>> receive the
>>> email from root might be more realistic.
>>
>> I think I'm with Michael Peters on this one, it should go to a
>> local user
>> first.
>
> Why not let the user chose? The installer should not play the nanny.

The installer does quite a bit of playing nanny, and I believe that's
part of why anaconda is so good.

> To me forward to a local address would be useless in most cases, while
> mail loops are not a problem (I know how to configure and test email).

My belief is that there are too many users who don't, and making it
easy for them to shoot themselves in the foot would lead to more
trouble than its worth. But for giggles, since I'm in the process of
trying to teach myself python, perhaps I'll try to put something
together that does give users the choice...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com